Registration for the 2012 Kansas Library Conference I Geek Kansas Libraries in Wichita is now open!
Please visit the 2012 Conference Web site.
OR choose ‘Conference 2012’ from the menu bar of the KLA website. From ‘Registration‘ at the top of the page, you will find links that take you into KLA’s online store to purchase the Conference. Members must log in to receive member rates for the annual Conference.
Some tips for the registration process:
- This year we feature a special Friend, Trustee & Student rate, as well as a One Day Rate.
- The Friend, Trustee & Student rate is intended to encourage participation by members of the library community outside the profession.
- The One Day Rate is intended for guests, visitors, and those who can only attend Conference for a single day or less.
- The member rate is $110, non-member $150; Friend, Trustee & Student rate is $30, $50 non-member. The One Day Rate is $70 member, $85 non-member.
- Early Bird Registration ends on March 16, 2012. Rates go up after that, so please register now!
- If you are a KLA member but you do not remember your password, take advantage of the “Forgot your Password?” link to quickly receive an email prompting you to reset your password.
- If you are a KLA member but have not yet paid your annual dues, please take a moment to renew while shopping for Conference. We appreciate it!
- If you would like to join KLA while registering for Conference, you can purchase a membership in the online store and add it to your cart with all other Conference-related purchases. The member price for Conference will be correctly calculated at checkout.
- While in the online store, you will see the 2012 Conference followed by all the ticketed events. You must purchase the Conference in order to purchase a ticketed session. You will be guided to do this when you add a ticketed Conference event to your cart.
- Hotel sleeping rooms can be booked now at the special KLA Conference rate of $118/night, single or double occupancy, plus applicable taxes. Click on the dedicated link below to book your room at the Hyatt Regency Wichita:
Detailed instructions for booking sleeping rooms are found under the ‘Accommodations‘ tab of the 2012 Conference page of the KLA web site.
Please call Lisa Beebe at the KLA Office at 785-580-4518 or email kansaslibraryassociation@
I look forward to seeing you at Conference!
The Public Library Section of KLA is pleased to announce that Clare Vanderpool, winner of the 2011 Newbery Medal for her book Moon over Manifest, is speaking at the Kansas Library Conference in Wichita. Vanderpool has also been declared the Distinguished Kansan for literary arts!
A bit about Clare from her Web site:
If you ask anyone who knows me, they will tell you that I have a very strong connection to place. I live in Wichita, Kansas, about four blocks from where I grew up, in an old neighborhood called College Hill. From my house I can walk to my parents’ house, my sister’s house, the school I went to and where my kids go now, the pool, the sledding hill, and two bookstores!
Interested in what’s happening in libraries across the state?
Read all about it in the Fall 2011 KLA Connects! newsletter.
Editors Jessica Gagnon and Sarah E. Valesquez have gathered stories and pictures and articles from libraries of all shapes and sizes, including:
- Johnson County Library – “Puzzles: A Simple Year-round Program for All Ages”
- CULS – “Academic Librarians in Manhattan”
- Scott County Library – “We are Where?” Children’s Programming
- Dodge City Public Library – “Dodge City Public Library Holds ‘Geek the Library’ Event”
- Andover Public Library – “Andover Public Library Recreates Vietnam Era for ‘Big Read’ Program”
- Book Reviews
- MidAmerica Nazarene University Library – “Changing Spaces”
- Sabetha Library – “Mary Cotton Public Library Recipient of Dollar General Grant”
- Meet Your New Editors
- Millsap for ALA President
- Friends University Library – “Friends University Library Hosts Open House”
- 2012 KLA Conference = “2012 Kansas Library Conference: I Geek Kansas Libraries”
- Message from the KLA President
- “Cory Doctorow to Speak at KLA Conference”
They are always looking for stories, events, pictures, book reviews and anything else you think would be valuable for the newsletter. You can send your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com